What self care do you implement into your daily routine?
I find that being a mother, the minutes, hours and days go by so quickly while we are looking after the needs of everyone else that we often forget about ourselves. You need to fill your cups too and I guarantee you will feel that little bit better and the time you spend filling your kids and/or partners cups will feel even easier because you’ve looked after yourself too.
These are some little things I do each day that make me feel a little more like myself:
3. Make sure I have something for breakfast. I’m not a big breakfast person so I usually will have a banana first thing while E has his yoghurt. Then when he has his toast, I’ll make myself scrambled eggs with herbs on toast.
4. I love to put some natural makeup on of a morning and do my hair. I always feel so much better internally for doing so and I approach the day with more positivity because I feel good.
5. Have a rest. Whether it be napping with E while he has his morning nap, or just taking some time to sit down and re group/ground myself. Even if it’s as little as five minutes. This for me often involves putting some music on while we play.
6. Get some fresh air. This is usually just E and I getting out the backyard of an afternoon now that the mornings are colder. If we don’t go to a local park or playground, we spend an hour or so outside and I feel like it breaks the day up as well gets us out of the house and moving our bodies! Fresh air feels so good!
7. Making some time for yourself each day is super important. It doesn’t always happen, some days my shower is what counts as my time to myself. Remember you’re not just a mum or partner, you are an individual who needs to look after themselves. You need to nurture what feeds your soul too! For me, I love to dabble in art/drawing and creative design. I love spending 15-20 minutes having a draw on my iPad or in my sketch book. If I know I won’t have that time to do so that day, I’ll spend 10 or so minutes looking through different artists or photographers work and finding inspiration instead! You’ll find once you start taking this small amount of time for yourself, you will feel lighter and refreshed.
8. Shower time! I shower before dinner each night after I give E his bath or shower. I put a timer on for 10 minutes while I shower and put a podcast or music on while I’m in there. This ten minutes makes so much difference to me each day. I feel like I can zone out and just relax without someone touching me or needing me for just that ten minutes. This also helps me feel fresh and ready to relax after dinner and not have to worry about having anything else to do.
9. Each night while we watch a cartoon before bed, I have a bowl of my favourite yoghurt topped with fruit as my little pick me up before I go to sleep. This also helps me not to feel hungry and wake through the night wanting to eat something.
I hope this gives you some simple ideas of ways you can look after yourself mentally, physically and spiritually.